This is my first YouTube video. Most of you expert social networkers will have already seen it, but I thought it was worth a link from my blog.
In the real world, these 5 Power Postures are highly effective and are definitely worth being aware of and using in presentations, public speaking, negotiation, sales etc.
Here are some very brief reminder notes on each archetype:
• Assertive, authoritative and calming
• Symmetrical physiology
• Palms down, hands forward, waist height
• Downward movement and spreading
• Voice tone down, slow, pause
• “Let me level with you”
• Vulnerable and agreeable, Pleading
• Symmetrical open physiology
• Palms up, Moving in an upward direction
• “I want to please you”
• Confrontational, Brings energy up, Generally need to soften
• Literally pointing the finger
• Asymmetrical, Leaning forward
• “It’s your fault”
• Thinker pose
• Asymmetrical physiology
• Hand on chin or arms folded
• “I’m the authority because I know all the facts”
• Diffuses energy (including Blamer!)
• Angular, disjointed and incongruent
• “It’s nothing to do with me”
I will be doing more video at some stage, probably in shorter 3-5 minute segments.
Until next time.